The hotel we stayed at had a fab pool. We went early so we could swim before the hockey game started. Jeff was studying and I was poolside with Isaac on my lap. Daisy and Levi were swimming with their cousins. Suddenly we looked across the pool and saw a girl that was about 6 or 7 years old beginning to receive CPR. She had drowned. We watched as they worked and worked to revive her. I was shocked at the feeling of panic and fear that overcame me. I gathered the children around me and watched as they moved from chest compressions to breathing and back to chest compressions again and the girl just lay there motionless. A mother who had been watching her children swim, just like I had been doing, came over to get a towel off the rack that was behind me. She had seen the girl on the bottom of the pool. When the mom realized that the stranger was not moving, she jumped in the pool fully dressed to rescue her. A man from the front desk ran in and grabbed a defibrillator. When the paramedics arrived they started an IV and put her on oxygen. While we obviously don't know the details, it seems like the girl did not die, but she was certainly without oxygen for a very long time. The whole experience was a little traumatic. I keep thinking about it over and over again. I think about the mom who jumped in, the parents of the little girl standing there crying, the man doing CPR, the paramedics, the ambulance, the defibrillator on her chest, my kids seeing it all. She drowned in less than four feet of water.
I have taken three things from this experience. One, it really can happen anytime in any amount of water. I think this was good for my kids to understand. Two, one of my goals for the year is to become certified in CPR. I never want to be helpless in a situation like that. Three, I am more sincere in my prayers for safety and my expression of gratitude after a reminder of just how fragile my life, and the lives of my children are.
10 comments:
Thats awful! Oh man I hope that little girl is okay. Good idea to get certified.
That is SO scary!! That happened to Acelyn a few years ago, but thankfully we got her out of the water very quickly that nothing else was needed. It scared me to death, but I still can't imagine what that girls parents were going through seeing their daughter unconscious! I hope that she ended up being ok!!
What a scary story.Hope that little girl is ok. It's getting harder for me to take my kids swimming with just me to watch them. It's getting harder to keep track of them. Especially when there are tons of little kids swimming.
How awful! I always think, that will never happen to me....but you're right, it can happen in any amount of water. Wow!
Hockey is one of my favorite sports to watch. Kyle and I never missed a USU Hockey game when we lived in Logan. I LOVE IT!
Hockey game sounds fun! Scary...what happened with that little girl! I think that you getting certified in CPR is a good idea. Hopefully you will never have to use it but better to have it and not need it than to not have it when you do need it. And BTW...I really love to read your blog. So cute!
How scary!! I can't even imagine the feeling. Makes me kind of sick to my stomach.
Hockey game sounds fun! Love the picture of Issac in the sink.
Oh my gosh. What an experience. I hope too that she is ok. I became certified in CPR for daycare...but I always think to myself "will I really remember all this if/when I ever need it?" I am so scared that panic and shock would overcome me and I would forget it all. I hope none of us ever has to use it, but great idea to be prepared.
Glad you had fun at the game! Your kids are too cute!
I actually read about that in the paper. It is crazy how fast it can happen. There was a little kid that drown in a bucket of water that only had a few inches of water in it that he fell face first in. I think that is awesome that you want to become certified. I believe that if everyone was certified in CPR that so many more lives could be saved. You should definitely do it!
First, I am shaken. I can't believe that! Scary. Second, your sister's wedding looked gorgeous! Third, I will never forgive myself for not calling you on your birthday. There is no excuse and I can't tell you how sorry I am. I love you so much and think you are the most amazing person I have ever met.
That is every moms worst nightmare! It seems like no matter how closely you watch them bad things still happen. I hope she is alright! Stacey
Post a Comment