Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Isaac's Intensive Care

 This picture was taken back before we chopped the mullet off, but this was a typical morning for our little RockStar.  Isaac wanders out of his room while the rest of us are sitting down for breakfast.  The crawls up onto my lap and wraps his arms around my neck for 'morning hugs,' which is one of my favorite parts of the entire day.

Last Wednesday I was getting ready to take Titus to the doctor for his one-year well baby check and Jeff was getting Isaac ready for preschool when he noticed he had a fever.  In a quick change of plans, I called the pediatrician and scheduled an appointment for Isaac as well.  Since his physical exam checked out, it was determined he likely had a strain of the flu virus and would run a fever and not feel well for the next 3-5 days.  It turned out that he...ran a fever and did not feel well for the next 3-5 days.  On Sunday, day 5, we told him that we would take him back to the doctor the next day.  He kept saying, "I just want to get better!"

 At 3:00 that morning he came in our bedroom complaining of bad dreams.  I went and laid with him in his bed and noticed that his breathing was getting worse.  I tried to calm him down but if I am honest with myself, I knew that he was really, really sick.  When I asked him if he wanted to take a warm bath to help him relax, he said yes, but when I helped him take his pajamas off, I noticed that something was really wrong.  He couldn't stand up straight and his abdomen was shifted off to one side.  I woke Jeff up, asked him to give Isaac a blessing, and then took him to the Emergency Room.
After Jeff's friends did some CT scans and some x-rays, the doctor told us that Isaac had severe pneumonia and that he would need to be transferred to Primary Children's Medical Center.  I went home to pack a bag while they sedated and intubated Isaac and waited for Life Flight to arrive.  Jeff's mom, who works at the school, had a feeling that morning as she woke up that she should take the day off of work.  When I went home to pack I was able to leave Titus with her without having to worry or make any arrangements.  I was so thankful she followed a quiet, simple prompting.
It seemed like it took forever for them to stabilize Isaac and prepare him for Life Flight.  I was so thankful for the professionals that were so careful with him.  Watching them work on him was one of the most surreal experiences I have ever had.  This was not my child.  We were not in the emergency room.  That helicopter was not here for him.  We were not going to Primary Children's.  He was not this sick.
 
Initially we were told that one parent could accompany Isaac on the flight, but then were told he would have to go alone.  I was relieved that I wouldn't have to make the drive all the way to Salt Lake City alone, but that Jeff would be coming with me.  My sister had been trying to contact me as soon as she heard that Isaac was going to be Life Flighted, but I didn't answer my phone.  Soon I got a text that said simply, "I am on my way to your house."  She lives 170 miles away and dropped everything to come without being asked, just "I'm on my way." I later found out my other sister was coming with her.
When we arrived at Primary Children's, Isaac has tubes, medications, monitors, and machines attached to every part of his body.  They explained that he was suffering from a pleural empyema, which is infected fluid outside of the infected lung.  The pneumonia had consolidated in his left lung rendering it useless, so his right lung was working overtime.  They started him on antibiotics and continued sedation.
 They surgically placed a chest tube under his arm to drain the infected fluid next to his lung.  It was the fluid that was crowding his lungs and pushing his body out of alignment causing the midline shift that I noticed when I undressed him.
As soon as the chest tube was placed and sutured, TONS of infected fluid drained from his body.
 

For now my life exists within the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.  I listen to doctors, residents, fellows, supervisors, infectious disease specialists, researchers, respiratory therapists, social workers, family life specialists, lab technicians, nurses, and radiographers.  I ask questions about my little man.  I talk to him through his muting sedation.  I tell him who calls, who is praying for him, and what is going on around him.  I tickle his tummy and rub his hair.  I told him I would be writing his story today so everyone that is asking could know how he is doing.

Isaac will remain under sedation for the next few days.  The chest tube they placed isn't draining anymore so they are deciding whether or not to move it.  They placed a catheter last night and will place a feeding tube today. He will start a new antibiotic today.  If he responds well to treatment then he should be discharged in 7-10 days.  If he experiences any complications his stay will be longer.
 We live in room 9.  Each day I apply for one of the parent sleep rooms that are assigned out on a nightly basis.  Each morning I shower in one of the bathrooms in the parent waiting room using baby shampoo and the soap from the wall mount soap dispenser.  I try to style my hair without a blowdryer.  I try to do my make up without a mirror.  I try to find something inexpensive to eat in the cafeteria, but I don't really feel hungry.
 

 
 I spend my time answering phone calls and text messages, and praying.  In a hospital room in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, priorities become very clear.  There are very few things in this life that really matter.  My family.  My relationships.  My testimony.  My Savior. 

I am overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support coming from all directions.  The staff here is incredible.  My family has been outstanding.  People I know and people I don't know well are all offering to help in any way they can.  Despite the severity of his situation (the doctors keep reminding me of how very sick he is) I don't feel afraid.  I feel comfort and I feel peace.  I can feel the power of all the prayers that are being offered on our behalf.  I feel my Savior's love, in all the world around me.  His Spirit warms my soul in everything I see.

5 comments:

mindy said...

Oh Tash, i'm so sorry to hear this. Poor little guy, we are praying for and thinking about him. Thank you for the update. Love you, sis!

The Park Family said...

My heart is breaking for your sweet little family. I know we don't know each other very well, but I would love to help your family. Do you need meals? Grocery shopping? Taking other kids to school? Find me on Facebook and let me know if I can help you. Praying for you and Isaac every prayer we say!!

Avalon

Tanya said...

Poor little guy. Breaks my heart! Praying for you and your sweet family during this tough time. Please let me know if you need anything!

Unknown said...

Brody said a special prayer when he found out Isaac from dance class was VERY sick. Our thoughts and prayers are with your family. -Shannon Kjar

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.