Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Going, going, gone

Since before Jeff and I got married 6 1/2 years ago we have been talking about him going back to school. He graduated with his associates degree and never went any further, but has always wanted to. It has been a never-ending discussion. We have always talked about what he would major in and where he would go if he did decide to go back. This summer as we continued to talk - and pray - about it, we came to the conclusion that if he really wanted to go back, waiting longer was not going to do us any good. It became clear that if we were serious about this we would need to sell our house.

We built this home together right after we got married. We moved in as we celebrated our first anniversary. We finished the yard together, planted the garden together, and brought our babies home to this house. I love this house. I love the yard and the neighborhood and the ward. I love that it is something we built together.

We knew that selling the home would be nearly impossible in this depressed market, but we decided that if it was the right thing to do, it would all work out. As comfortable and happy as our lives are, we knew that we didn't want to be sitting around at age 60 wishing we would have gone back to school when we could have. As my mom told me, the only regrets are the chances not taken. So we took the leap of faith and put our house up for sale, trusting that it would only sell if it were meant to be. It was on the market for a month and two days when it sold. We now have less than a month before we have to be out.

We have decided that we are going to stay here in town and commute to school for now. We started looking for apartments today. I am feeling so overwhelmed by the whole thing. It is really too much for me to wrap my head around. We have so many decisions that need to be made! At this point I am trying to maintain the same faith we had when we listed the home for sale: if this is the right thing it will all work out, and we will have help along the way. I have to trust that much.

17 comments:

Anthony and Christel said...

Uh, wow! I'm sad/excited for you guys. That would be a very scary thing to put your home up for sale, but I think it will be so great for your family once Jeff is done with school. Anthony & I have been talking about the same thing, but I'm not sure if it would happen for a couple more years. Good luck with everything. By the way, how is Daisy taking it? Is she excited to move, or sad?

Brandi said...

OMH!! Yeah, you do have a lot going on! Great for him for going back. Jared has talked about that too...time is the hard part for him. I can't beleive your house sold that quick! Yes, maintaining faith just might be the hardest part at times. It's like when you come out of a great releif society lesson or sacrament talk that totally inspires/motivates you...the hard part is KEEPING that with you as time goes on. But yes, I am sure you guys will be blessed and have help along the way. It's times like this when i personally turn to my patriarchal blessing...and what a blessing/comfort it is! Good luck with everything and yes, before all the packing/cleaning/craziness, you deserve a weekend for you! And hopefully we will all get some answers to our prayers from these speakers too! See you in 2 days!!;)

Danielle said...

I am excited for you guys it sounds like it is all going to work out and is meant to be.

Bethany said...

What a brave leap of faith! Good luck to you. The hardest part I think is deciding a major and actually graduating with it.

Mindy said...

Huh!? Thats crazy! Congrats on selling it so fast. Are you both going back? What school? Good luck with everything, im sure it will all work out!

Linds said...

I am shocked! Come live in my basement! YEAH!Sleepover!! Okay, so I don't know if that'syour best solution, but I am so proud of you for following your heart and having so much faith. You can do this!

Amanda said...

Wow! That is scary and exciting. It would be very hard for me to sell my house, it is like a member of the family. But at the same time you will get to build another house some day and it will have the things your first home didn't. Good luck, let us know when we can help out.

Jana said...

Wow! You are brave. I know everything will work out for you guys...I wish you the best of luck with school and looking for apartments. When I moved, Kade stood at the door to our new house with his coat and hat on and said "home mommy, home". It broke my heart! I think about the house the Kyle and I built when we were first married too. There were a lot of memories made there and I miss it....but where we are now is the best thing that we could have done. Things will work out...I know it!

Mjarrett85 said...

You guys have a lot of changes coming your way, and I know how you feel! It is scary changing your "comfotable" lives around for school. I am sure it will be worth it in the end and it will feel good being 60 years old and saying I have no regrets! Good luck with everything, I have decided that if you can do it with 2 kids then I can definitely do it with one:)

Miller Family said...

so everyone else is so happy for you, and i am going to be up front...i am very sad. i know the heartache of leaving your first home and i am also sad knowing that one day soon you will be leaving nephi to maybe not ever come back. i am happy for you guys though because i know you inquired of the Lord and followed the answer you were given. it is the right thing and life will go on and work out the way it should. we love you guys and even though you are just moving to craig's for now, it still seems like it might as well be a million miles away... :)

Teri said...

Natasha,

Wow, that's great news about your house selling and about Jeff going back to school. I'm sure it's hard to leave your first home. We'll probably have to sell our home too next year. I admire you guys for doing this, it is a huge leap of faith. We know exactly how you feel. We thought the same thing when Rich was deciding to go back to school, if we didn't do this now we would regret it someday. Even though we rarely see Rich these days, I'm glad our kids can see how hard he's working towards his education. It's a good example for them to see. Tell Jeff good luck with school and you too! I feel like a single mom these days. It's a huge sacrifice for the whole family, but it will be well worth it in the end -Teri

Tanya said...

WOW! What a scary and exciting thing all in one. I wish you guys the best. I truly believe that things work out for a reason :)

Alan and Mindee said...

Hey,
I was looking at Danielle and Tyler's blog and ran across yours. You have such a cute family. Good luck with your move. Alan and I just moved from Spanish to Delta, so I can sort of imagine what you are going though, but I know it will all work out for you guys. I think of you every time I pass through Nephi and wonder if you are still living there. I am excited to keep in touch. My blog page is
alanandmindeewilliams.blogspot.com

Alan and Mindee said...

Thanks for posting a comment on my blog! I would love to have lunch sometime and yes you are more than welcome to link my page. I hope it is ok if I link yours!

Jay said...

Natasha!!! We will all miss you so much! ~Em

Shane and Kendra said...

Let us know if there is anything that we can help with...kids, moving, etc. You know where to find us :)

The Cox Family said...

What big news! I can't believe you haven't talked about this until now. It sounds like a great plan, and I admire Jeff for wanting to go back to school! We wish you guys the best of luck!