It turns out that the very first Pet Parade to be held at the kids' elementary school was scheduled for a day that dad would be doing clinicals in Salt Lake...which means that mom (7 months pregnant mom) was left to transport and manage the pets for the big Pet Parade. It was after I had loaded the animals and made it to the school, and I was leading the horse, and the dog, and my three-year-old across the street and the playground and over the river and through the woods, and I was saying to myself, "The things you do for your kids," that Daisy spotted me coming toward her. And her smile made it all worth it.
Of all the animals we have (dog, sheep, pig, chickens, calves) Daisy, of course, wanted to take her horse to the Pet Parade. And so take her horse we did. She was so proud, and did a great job of keeping Honey calm with all the other animals and all 500 kids.
Levi opted to take Star, but decided about halfway into the Pet Parade that it wasn't as much fun as he thought to stand in the hot sun for that long. He passed the leash on to little brother.
Isaac helped me load the animals to take to the school, so he was sporting his rubber chore boots with his shorts, which was simply adorable. He was happy to hang out with Star and feel like a big kid.
These brothers are best buddies. Levi was so cute to let Isaac tag along with his class and see all the animals.
Both Daisy and Honey were happy that Ashlyn brought her horses. They are often in the same corral and they were totally calm when they were together.
There were only THREE moms that brought pets in the large animal division. One I work with because she is the director of the Fair, one is in my ward and runs a dairy, and then me. I was getting major "Impressive Mom" looks from the other parents there, which, I must confess, made me feel cool. The Pet Parade was a great success. Maybe next year we can take our stuffed monkey.

5 comments:
Good for you! I had to take a calf to school for Kade once and it was SO hard, but like you said.....the smile makes it all worth it.
Good for you! I had to take a calf to school for Kade once and it was SO hard, but like you said.....the smile makes it all worth it.
Natasha, in all the years of kids and pet day I can honestly say I have never once thought of taking horses for them. They have wanted the horses there, but dad couldn't come and bring them so that was that. This year luckily Rod was able to come so Janey and Bridger were happy and the older kids were jealous. It confirmed their opinion that Dad likes they youngest two best :) You are right to feel cool, feel very, very cool.
That is impressive. Coop wanted to take papas horse but i knew i wasn't hauling a horse. Major mom points for you for doing it.
That is impressive. Coop wanted to take papas horse but i knew i wasn't hauling a horse. Major mom points for you for doing it.
Post a Comment