Monday, May 5, 2014

Traveling Circus: The Border Inn

 Five and a half years ago we sold our home and moved into a basement apartment so Jeff could go back to school.  We have not taken a family vacation since.  He graduated a year ago and we built our house.  This Spring Break we decided it was time.  So off we went to sunny California!

 The plan was to drive west through the Nevada desert making a few stops along the way, spend a week with Jeff's brother Brian and his family, and then make the marathon drive home in one killer day. It would be nearly 2,000 miles and 30 hours in the car together.
 We left Sunday after General Conference to head out to the Nevada border.  We had to stop and take pictures by this strange "shoe" tree in the middle of no where.
 We arrived at our destination for our first night's stay: the Border Inn...only we got there faster than we had expected, and the time change made it even earlier.  We had a lot of time to kill before bedtime, and when it comes to entertainment and amenities, the Border Inn is not exactly top notch.  As in the Border Inn is not even in a town.  It is a gas station/restaurant combo on the side of the "Loneliest Road in America."  But don't you worry...the Dansie Family Circus had no trouble making entertainment of our own.

 Daisy was a little worried about the condition of our motel.  After using the bathroom, she announced, "I am NOT taking a shower in there.  I will wait till we get to our next motel."
We tried to take a family shot at the border sign...but I didn't make it in time.
...and the camera tipped over the second time and got this shot of the beautiful sky.
But the third time's the charm.  The whole circus at the border.



And on the Utah side too.

Standing right on the stateline border, between the Nevada and Utah signs.
Next on the agenda for our fun filled waste-some-time evening was the small arcade inside the casino where we broke the weight limit on the toddler carousel.
Titus thought it was great!

And Isaac thought this mechanical horse was super lame since he is used to riding a real one.
We closed out the night with a fierce game of air hockey.  Back in our little wood paneled motel room, we watched a few reruns of "Full House" before praying and tucking into bed.

As I lay there listening to the sleeping sounds of the people I love the most, I thought about how much fun we had on our first day of vacation.  We hadn't done anything, really, but I smiled there in the darkness thinking about the things we had laughed at together, and remembering how incredibly blessed I am to have this thing called family.

I fell asleep looking forward to Day Two.

No comments: