I'm convinced that one of the Adversary's most clever tactics in these latter days is the distortion of priorities. It is so easy to become confused about what really matters and what is most important. I came to this conclusion not only by the evidence all around me in every day life, but also through the warnings of living prophets who have advised us over and over about being careful...and prayerful...about our priorities.
I am so eternally grateful that my sweet husband understands this principle. In addition to being a full-time student with a large credit load, Jeff is required to put in thousands of clinical hours. In preparation for the next phase of his education, he also spends hours each week volunteering and shadowing in other clinics and medical modalities. And so we can live, he works long, hard, physical hours at his old job two or three days each week. This was Jeff's last week of classes for the semester, and he had his last big comprehensive exam on Friday night. But Daisy won a prize from her orthodontist for her and three guests to go ice skating Friday night. Daisy, of course, wanted her daddy to go ice skating with her for her first time. So where was Jeff on Friday night? He was ice skating, which meant he had to stay up most of the night on Wednesday after he got done home teaching, and Thursday night after shadowing all day and helping a friend with his front porch, and Friday night after clinical hours all day and ice skating that night to take his exam.
Jeff is at Daisy's programs, Levi's tournaments, date night with me, movie night with the kids, temple trips with our friends, chores each night with our kids, family home evening every Monday, and everywhere else he needs to be. This means he most often sacrifices the things he wants to do.
Each night after dinner, Jeff covers the table in books and homework. As we gather for family scripture study, he lays his scriptures on top of his books and reads with the kids and I. Every night. Then he stays up late while we go to sleep. Then he gets up early to do it all over again.
I am certain that the blessings that have come as a result of Jeff's prayerful prioritizing are the reason we have been able to grow closer together through this process instead of further apart. I am convinced it is why he has done so well in school, and why windows and doors of opportunity continue to open to us.
Years ago after being touched by M. Russell Ballard's conference talk, I called my friend who cuts vinyl to have a quote made. Hanging above the door in our home is, "What matters most is what lasts longest....Family." Thank you, Jeff, for living this principle. Your careful choices bless all of us.
1 comment:
Loved your post, you have a good husband. I feel the same way about Rich, I don't know how he juggles all he has on his plate. We do see very little of him, but when he is here he makes the most of it and it's quality time. I'm sure Jeff is the same way. These past two years haven't been easy having Rich in school, but we've learned some valuable life lessons that we couldn't have learned any other way. So glad things are going well for you guys, can't wait for Jeff to be done with school and to see what the Lord has in store for your family! I have no doubt it will be awesome!
Post a Comment