Thursday, August 25, 2011

By the Dawn's Early Light



By it's nature, motherhood does not provide for a lot of "me" time. This is not a complaint, it is just a fact. As is the solution to many problems, moms have to get creative in order to find "me" time. Some moms find it at Bunco, others at scrap night. Mine? My "me" time is in the early hours of the morning. And I love every minute of it.

I wake up before the sun. I put on my workout clothes and shoes, and I head out to exercise. Three mornings a week it's Zumba, to which I am an admitted addict. The other three, it's a run. I pray while I run, and I consider it a heavenly gift that I am able to witness the dawn - the start of a new day, the fresh beginning. When I get home from my run I kennel my running companion, our dog Star, and let out my chickens. I check for any eggs the kids may have missed the night before.
I walk over to the garden and check the water, pull a few weeds, and bring in any ripe produce. When I step inside my quiet house where everyone is still sleeping, I tiptoe over to where my scriptures are waiting. I open them and invite the Spirit to teach me. I study and I prepare lessons, but mostly, this time with God prepares me for my day. Soon enough it's time to get my sweaty, satisfied self into the shower. After that, the chaos begins. The sun is up and the day is in full swing. And I welcome the day, ready for all that will come, because of the gift that the morning has already been, because of the time I've already made for me.

2 comments:

Jessie said...

natasha, you are SUCH an inspiration to me!!! you are incredible.

p.s. i've considered giving zumba a try...maybe...haha don't hold me to it, but i wouldn't mind having you explain it a little better to me :)

p.p.s. i also want to start running in the mornings, but i am the biggest chicken in the world. do you ever feel unsafe running by yourself?

Anthony and Christel said...

WOW...LOVED that!